Franchise Law & Practice
One of the most popular business models used today to expand globally is franchising.
We have developed this course to assist the practitioner and their client to understand the complexities of this type of business expansion.
The International Franchising Law Masterclass is comprised of the following topic areas:
- Different business models in the franchising system
- Business format of franchising
- The impact of different cultures and legal systems of international franchising
- The effect of a wide range of laws which govern franchising such as franchising laws, codes of conduct, trademark protection, dispute resolution
- New developments in taxation avoidance and minimisation and the impact it has on business models.
More specifically, we will be looking at:-
- Definition of franchising.
- Assessing a franchise business for suitability of transport to overseas jurisdictions.
- The role of legal advisers in the business decision to expand a franchise to a new country.
- Comparison of Business Models (organics, agents, distributors, licencing, franchising, joint ventures, master franchisees)
- Franchising and the concept of culture
- Building and protecting the brand
- Due diligence
- Brand Due Diligence
- Role of advisers in due diligence
- Contents of a franchising agreement
- Obligations of franchisor and franchisee
- Other important terms in a franchise agreement
- Due Diligence Considerations
- Comparative session – Italy v UK
- International Franchise Laws and Regulations
- Franchise Business Structures
- Expansion in franchising
- Legal Issues in negotiation matters
- Intellectual Property Issues
- Protection of Trade Marks
- Real Property considerations – Leases and licences
- Dispute Resolution
- Alternative dispute resolution – mediation and arbitration
- Forum and choice of Law
- Factors in dispute resolution
- The future of franchising
- Social Franchising
- Exit Strategies – selling, insolvency, buyouts, public listing, venture capitalists
The students will be learning the above through caselaw and practice case studies to apply the concepts to real practical situations.