We are an Authorized TOLES Training and Examination Centre in Bologna, Italy.
Test of Legal English Skills (TOLES) is a series of examinations developed in conjunction with the Law Society of England and Wales with consultation of major law firms in the UK. The aim was to develop practical and industry relevant examinations for lawyers and law students.
TOLES is a direct response to industry needs.
The examinations themselves are in three (3) level tests. These levels are:
The focus of the exams is on the development of commercial awareness as well as accuracy and the development of a specialist commercial legal vocabulary. The exams therefore a not a test of English law but rather test knowledge of Legal English within the context of English and international law.
The aim of TOLES is to meet the English language skills standards and requirements of the group of law firms forming the Magic Circle and other leading commercial enterprises.
Exam topics include:-
- commercial contracts drafted in English
- forms of business
- the vocabulary of finance
.The 3 levels of TOLES are:-
- TOLES Foundation – this is the first level in the TOLES series. It is for beginners/elementary level students of legal English. This exam tests reading and writing skills. The exam takes 90 minutes.
- TOLES Higher – this is the second level in the TOLES series. It is for intermediate level students of legal English. This exams tests reading, writing and listening skills. The exam takes 120 minutes.
- TOLES Advanced is the highest level in the TOLES series. It is for advanced level students of legal English. This exam tests reading and writing skills. The exam takes 120 minutes.
Why TOLES ?
TOLES is suitable for international lawyers and law students who are seeking employment in the field of international commercial law.
This includes law students who are looking for employment in top level international law firms, the law departments of international corporations and local government.